Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Cacao-Avocado Frosting
For the cupcakes
1 cup soymilk
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons instant coffee
⅓ cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1¼ cup flour
⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
For the frosting
1 ripe avocado
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cups.
- Take a blender. Add together the milk and vinegar, and set aside for a few minutes until the milk curdles.
- Add in the sugar, instant coffee, oil, and vanilla and blend until foamy.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the blender.
- Blend for a minute, until smooth.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- For the frosting: Scoop out the avocado, and place in a food processor.
- Add the melted chocolate and vanilla, and puree until smooth. This will set once cold.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes, and enjoy!